What’s your hair telling you?!
The sun is shining and we can’t wait to pack our bags for that long awaited holiday but often swimming and sunshine are a real challenge to our hair.
It’s important to make sure that our hair is in tip top condition before we go .
Does your hair need a spot of DIY?
The answer is probably yes if:
a) You use styling products regularly
b) You live or work in built up or polluted areas
c) It’s too tangled to run your fingers through it
d) It looks tired and lacklustre
e) It’s unmanageable and lacks body
f) It’s very dry or gets oily more than usual
g) You smoke or go to smoky places
Everyone would love to always have clean, healthy, shiny hair but in reality harsh treatments and pollution can wreck it.
Too much product coats and weighs it down resulting in dull, lank, dirty or difficult to control hair. Colour processing and heat styling weakens your hair and dries it out.
So what are we going to do about it?
Time for some Mellow Skincare DIY hair care tips!
- Before washing your hair, run a comb through it to remove tangles, grime and dry skin.
- Drench your hair with water before shampooing to prevent your hair from breaking.
- You only need to use a small amount of shampoo as you massage it into your hair.
- Gently knead the scalp. This stimulates the glands to produce oils.
- The shampoo needs to be lathered from root to tip.
- RINSE, RINSE, RINSE for several minutes.
- You should only need to apply shampoo once as long as you rinse thoroughly.
- Conditioning your hair is important whatever your hair type. It seals in moisture so your hair doesn’t dry out and stays shiny.
- Ideally comb the conditioner through your hair with a wide-toothed comb to detangle and to coat the strands right down to the tip.
- Choose a conditioner for your specific hair type and if it tends to be more oily, only apply it to the tips.
- Rinse off immediately and thoroughly to prevent a build up.
If your hair is very dry, damaged or chemically treated you may need weekly deep conditioning treatments to restore it to health. This will reconstruct damaged hair and lock in moisture.
- After shampooing and conditioning, finish off with a rinse in cold water. This will flatten the hair cuticles and makes hair instantly shinier.
- Most hair experts agree that most people use far too much styling product. This overloads the hair and can leave your hair limp, heavy or greasy so use less if this is happening to you.
- When blow drying your hair, work from root to tip and finish with a cold blast. Result – shiny hair!
- Clean your brushes and combs regularly as they will have styling product left behind as well as excess hair.
Did you know that my hair products are free from SLS and parabens?
Mellow hair products have a gentle but effective cleansing action and are mild and kind to your skin, leaving your hair feeling healthy and gorgeous. The detergents in our shampoos are sourced from coconut and palm kernel oil.